Friday, November 5, 2010

The King of All Games Strikes Back

By Jimmy Hrom

I’m not a child of the Atari age. The first system I ever played religiously was the NES but I did have an Atari 2600 collecting dust in the closet. Every once in a while when I got bored of beating Darkwing Duck I would pull out the Atari and play Combat and Space Invaders. They were never better than Super Mario Brother 2 or Blaster Master but they passed the time. Nowadays, Space Invaders is the Casablanca of video games. Invaders are graffitied on underpasses, they were featured in the music video “Happy Up Here” by Royksopp and the short feature PIXELS by Patrick Jean. Needless to say, Space Invaders is a pretty big deal.

The other day I was on an App Journey and I stumbled across a true gem: Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Available on the iPhone, Xbox Live and PSN, Infinity Gene is an intelligent reimagining of the original game. It takes a lot from the more action packed scrolling shooters like Galaga or R-Type but still keeps the stylization of the early 8-bit age.

In a nutshell, it’s like Tron on crack.


Infinity Gene combines two of Japan’s favorite things: evolution and space ships. As you rack up points you also gain new abilities, ships and secret levels. The game is fast-paced and stimulating. There are 3 different levels consisting of 6 stages (not including the hidden levels). There are photo galleries, sound effects and music (including the BPM for those of you who want to make some samples), which can be listened to at any time.

For an App it has a high price tag of $4.99 with additional content packs available for $1.99 each. I know that most people would shy away from such an expensive game but I think it’s well worth it.

What, you don’t believe me?!

Well, fine.

You can go on the app store and download a demo of the game. It’s a classic game, with a classic style. If you’re even vaguely interested, I recommend that you just go ahead and buy it. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment